Emergency Food Bags
When inclement weather hits, and the schools (and subsequently FMOW) close, our clients do not receive their daily lunchtime meal. In the past, we have had closures that have lasted for over a week. For many of our clients, that means no warm meals or community contact during that time.
To alleviate the hardship to our clients, Fluvanna Meals on Wheels asks the community to fill and donate Emergency Food Bags so that we may deliver these bags before the winter storms hit. These “E-Bags” contain 5 full meals, which our clients are to use in the event that we are unable to deliver their lunchtime meals.
Last year, we were able to collect enough bags for three rounds of deliveries! We partnered with the Fluvanna County Sheriff’s office, who delivered a round to our clients in preparation for storms and closures.
If you know of anyone who might be interested (or if you are interested) in sponsoring Emergency Food Bags for our clients, please share this information with friends, churches, or other community organizations.
Once you have decided how many bags you would like to fill and donate, please contact us and we will provide you with the bags and additional information.
Below is a list of items acceptable for the Emergency Food Bags:
EMERGENCY FOOD BAG (E-BAG) CONTENTS
Each of our clients will receive one E-Bag containing five days of nonperishable entirely prepared food in case inclement weather prevents our drivers from delivering the regular hot meals.
Because our clients have specific health and dietary needs, please choose ONLY from the items listed below using LOW SODIUM and LOW SUGAR items.
PLEASE CHOOSE 5 ITEMS PER BAG FROM EACH OF THE FOOD GROUPS LISTED (protein, fruit, vegetable)
- PROTEIN - Choose 5 food items from the following list:
- Low Sodium Soups or Stews
- Canned Meat – tuna, chicken, salmon
- Peanut Butter (low salt or unsalted variety)
- Jars or Cans of Unsalted Nuts
- FRUIT - Choose 5 food items from the following list:
- Canned fruit in fruit juice (mandarin oranges, pears, peaches, mixed, etc.)
- Dried fruits (banana, cherries, apricots, raisins, etc.)
- VEGETABLE - Choose 5 canned food items that are Low Sodium or No Salt Added:
- Green beans, peas, carrots, corn, etc.
Please choose 2 items from the following list:
- Box of Saltine or Ritz crackers
- Box of Graham crackers, granola bars, cereal bars
- Packs (6 or 12) of 100% fruit juice (in single-serving sizes)
NO CANDY OR COOKIES PLEASE
Products in single-serving size with easy open containers are the best for our clients if available. Be sure to check the food expiration dates on canned goods, the expiration dates should be any time after July 2019.